Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Old and Set in One's Ways and Yet Youthful

It's official. I'm old. (I know, I'm only 30, but stick with me here.) So I've played around with different setups on my horn for about 5 years now. I have THE setup and then I have all these other ligatures and reeds and blah, blah, blah. Every time I try something that isn't THE setup, I can play it, but it doesn't "zip", and it drives me nuts. I've been playing THE same setup since 1999 (yes, I know that's 10 years, or 1/3 of my life, I get it), but dang man, I'm really old and crochety when it comes to my playing.

I find myself saying things that were said to me in lessons when I was in school. I find myself repeating Band "Directorisms" to kids just to prove to them that the
"ism" isn't going away(This is always in response to the question "Why do Directors always say that!?") The part that's most unnerving...I know them verbatim! I'll say something and the kid will look back at me and say "Mr./Ms. So and So said that exact same thing today." Yikes! It's like I'm the Band "Directorism" Whisperer.

I'm still using the same Rose book that I got in 8th Grade. Yep, it's well-used and filled with notes from multiple teachers. I'm constantly referencing them and saying "YOU see that right there, so and so wrote that in there because it works." Like I'm an expert on Rose's arrangements or something (though I will say, I studied with a monster interpreter.) I'm turning 31 next month and I don't feel "old" but just settled in. I can only hope that I don't turn out like Job, getting called out by a kid. Elihu tells him:

Job 32(NIV)
6 So Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said: (Speaking to Job)
"I am young in years,
and you are old;
that is why I was fearful,
not daring to tell you what I know.

7 I thought, 'Age should speak;
advanced years should teach wisdom.'

8 But it is the spirit in a man,
the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.

9 It is not only the old who are wise,
not only the aged who understand what is right.

Man, that had to sting a little. It makes you wonder how sanctimonious you're being with your students or your kids.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm kind of in the middle. I can tell a 15 year old (a sophomore in H.S.) "Dude, I'm twice your age" and that resonates. They think, "Man you're old. OK, you must know SOMETHING." On the other hand I turn to a teacher with 35 years experience and they say "I'm almost twice your age" and I think, "Yeah, but I've got a brain too dude!" So, I'm Music Man in the Middle. Woo hoo!

Maybe Paul said it best to Timothy:

1 Timothy 4 (NIV)
12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Hmm. Someone's always watching your progress, AND, someone's always hearing you. Yeah, God thinks he's soooo funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please keep it clean and keep it legal. Peace...