Saturday, February 21, 2009

Things That Bug Me: Playing Really High

Things That Bug Me: Playing Really High on the Bass Clarinet

I've been blessed with an extensive altissimo from early in my career. Actually, I'll never forget switching back to Bass Clarinet as a sophomore in H.S. and getting my first lesson in playing high. A guy who had just graduated (and was a phenomenal player in his own right) taught me how to play up to a Double C. I kind of held onto that and when I studied ith my first really good private teacher she started every lesson saying "Alright, let's play the "Traumatic Scale". She called it that because it was supposed to go up to Altissimo G every time and lots of her students didn't like that. However, that combination of the Double C and a really good private teacher birthed this altissimo renaissance in my playing.

Within a year I knew how to play up to Double C with techincal proficency and I made fast friends with someone who wrote a couple pieces for me. Back in the day he wrote his first piece for me, a concerto, in Db Major and wrote in some Double Eb's and said "Can you play this? I wrote it in pen." Well, now I'm stuck. So, I figured out Double Eb in short order and worked out some 4 octave scales. At current my Eb, E and F scales (written) are 4 octaves.

I found a fingering chart by Terje Lerstad that went far higher than I could have imagined and began employing the notes that were even higher than Double F in an "eek it out" performance practice. I ended up using a "Triple C" in a gliss from Double C to Triple C on the last note of the Artie Shaw "Concerto for Clarinet". It won me a second place tie with a Clarinet performance major (one year my senior) in a Concerto Competition.

At that point I decided to draw a line in the sand and start to categorize the "pretty altissimo" and the "it-comes-out" altissimo. Pretty went up to double F, it-comes-out went up to Triple Eb. I don't sit around using these notes all the time, but they do come in handy when I want to play something that isn't for Bass Clarinet and I want to play the piece at pitch.

Now comes the hard part. How do I get these notes to come out at all?

Increasing your range on any instrument is a slow progression. Wherever you're starting is good enough. If you can barely cross the break, that's ok. Start where you're at. Regardless of where I started I'd be playing everything the same way. No massive embouchure changes, no serious changes in air flow, nothing crazy. The only thing I would change is the throat shaping I'm using to produce the pitch. Now, from Low Eb on Bass Clarinet to Altissimo G should all be done the EXACT same way. Only above this note do you need different throat voicings to get the notes to speak clearly.

I would recommend playing up to whatever note you can get up to and stopping. Try to make that note and the 3 notes below it sound pretty good. Don't be satisfied with something that's just "alright" really work toward a very solid tone that is beginning to show your unique characteristics...a tone that fits YOUR tonal profile...then move on. Make sure the 3 notes before each successive pitch sound good as well and continue moving up the instrument. Straining, fussing and fighting won't do you any good, but consistent, steady, stoic practice will. Make sure you're playing all these notes up to Altissimo G just as you would play the lowest notes on the instrument, regardless of how high they are.

When you reach the Altissimo (C# just above the staff) then you will need to make sure that you are depressing the half hole lever (which will uncover the actual "half hole") You can't live without the half hole being open from now on. Once again, no straining, no fussing, no fighting, no hootin', no hollerin', nothing. Just play until the note speaks. Passing up the altissimo G you enter a whole new realm. Before I get into how to make these notes speak, I'll list the fingerings that I use to make them go. These may not work for you on your instrument. Personally, I play Leblanc Bass Clarinets, so if you have a Selmer, or whatever, then these may not be perfect for you, but they're probably awful close.

When I say 123 I'm talking left hand fingers.
When I say 456 I'm talking right hand fingers.
R means right pinky and L means left pinky(followed by the note the key plays.)
Reg means register key and T means thumb.
F after the 4 or 5 key means the fork key.
C# after the 123 keys means the banana key that plays low C#.
HH means the half hole is open.
S after the 12 keys is the sliver key.
SK means side keys and 1 is the lowest key and 4 is the highest key(ex. SK1).
A and Ab denotes the left hand A and Ab keys.
When I say LL after the note I'm denoting how many ledger lines it is above the Treble Clef staff (ex. 4 LL = 4 Ledger Lines above the treble clef staff.)
Got it? Cool! Off we go.

Altissimo Ab (4 ledger lines above the staff) T Reg HH SK1
A (4 LL) T Reg HH 2 3
Bb (5 LL) T Reg HH 2 3 C#
B (5 LL) T Reg HH 2
C (5 LL) T Reg HH 2 SK1
C# (5 LL) T Reg HH SK1
D (6 LL) T Reg HH 2 3 C#
Eb (6 LL) Open
E (6 LL) T Reg 1 4
F (7 LL) T Reg 1
F# (7 LL) T Reg HH 2 3 4 6
G (7 LL) T Reg 2 5 REb
G# (7 LL) T Reg Ab 2 5 REb
A (8 LL) T Reg HH 2 3 4 6 REb
Bb (8 LL) T Reg 2 5 REb
B (8 LL) T Reg HH 2 SK1
C (9 LL) T Reg (HH) 2 3 4 5 or (T Reg HH 2 SK1)
C# (9 LL) T Reg (HH) 2 3 4 6 or (T Reg HH SK1)
D (9 LL) T Reg (HH) 2 3 5 6
Eb (10 LL) T Reg (HH) 2 3 5

That's all I've got at current. Terje's fingering chart actually goes higher and, of course, I use alot of fingerings from his chart, so don't think they were my idea! So, what to do...

This is the hardest thing to learn and the easiest thing to remember once you get it. It will be very much like learning to ride a bike. Promise.

If you're using a saxophone-like embouchure then you already have a nice amount of lip on the reed. Don't shy away from that. As you push with your throat and all the funny voicings start to jump out your lip being on the reed will cause a divide in the reed and give you all kinds of harmonics. This is excellent stuff, don't be afraid of it, you just don't have control of it yet. Heck, sometimes I don't have control of it.

When you ascend the instrument all the pressure is going to be coming from the back of your throat. As you increase and decrease pressure the aperture at the back of your throat gets larger and smaller. Sometimes you don't have to do a whole lot to get a speak as you push "a bit" newer, higher notes come out. Occasionally, you'll find a note that only speaks and a specific point, at a specific frequency inside your throat. For me, this note is Double A, for you it could be something else. Whatever you do, DO NOT apply massive pressure to the reed to get what you want. There is already pressure on the reed and you may need a tiny bit more to get a good sound...I can live with that, but do NOT try to do all this with your lip....it won't work. No joke people.

Westward Bass Clarinets!

1 comment:

  1. For some reason I cant get anything above an altissimo g.
    Anything below comes out fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Please keep it clean and keep it legal. Peace...