Saturday, July 11, 2009

Playing by "feel"

This morning I was going through my Basses again to make sure the backing I put on a pad had actually taken and I played through each of my Basses with my 11 year old Clark Fobes "Basso Nova" mouthpiece. Yes, it is THAT old and yes he used to call it "Basso Nova"...(I know, I like the Bossa Nova reference to.)

So, the mouthpiece responded beautifully, as always. A Side Note:

I've got a Fobes Debut on my Soprano Clarinets (and it works great) I have a Nova Mouthpiece for my Alto Clarinet and I have my old Fobes "Basso Nova" with my Basses. He's the man. Check him out at www.clarkwfobes.com

Anyways, I'm playing through my horns and I started with my un-extended instruments. Let me tell you, they feel like they weigh nothing when I play them. It's almost like playing Bb Clarinet, they're that light to the touch.

This is an odd phenomenon because my '59 Leblanc 400 is a heavy instrument for its size, but I've never thought of it as heavy and today it felt especially light. When I play those instruments and then move on to my extended Bass it also feels quite light in hand. Typically it doesn't work this way. You give a Clarinet player a Bass and they're like "Geez, this thing is so heavy!" So, it stands to reason that going from smaller Bass to larger Bass would be slightly uncomfortable regardless of how experienced you are.

It would seem to me that your approach to instrument colors significantly how the instrument feels and responds in your hands.

Think about that the next time you play. Are you walking up to your Bass and saying "Man, you're a big clunky instrument!" If so, you might not be having the best time. If you're a Band Director and you make regular comments like that then chances are you have clunky, heavy sounds coming from the Bass Clarinets and Low Woodwinds.

This same assumption prevents students who play big instruments from getting technically difficult parts. Really it's avoidance. Then, they never acquire technique because the don't need to. That's bad.

Coincidence? I think not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please keep it clean and keep it legal. Peace...