Sunday, March 8, 2015

Songs With No Words? Sort Of...

I have just constructed five songs that have words, but they don't.  I'm also going to use two very old favorites from the classical literature that people would recognize, but they are going to have their own spin.  However, these five songs that have words, they won't be sung on the tracks.  The words have meaning, they determine the titles of the songs, but they are like poetry that accompanies the tracks.

I can imagine, in a perfect world, that people at shows would sing the words along while I play, but I don't think that the words need to be present on the tracks.  I'm a bass clarinetist, not a singer.  I'm like Santana...I'd rather not sing.  However, I'm not making Supernatural.  I'm not trying to crack open the Billboard hot 100.

I think the songs will really speak to people because they have deep emotional meaning.  They are very personal, but I don't see the need to throw the words up when I know I can't sing them.

So, what say you to words that exist but are not sung?  I don't think I'm living a pipe dream that people would sing them at a show, but I don't want people to think I'm crazy.  A poem that fully matches the song someone's listening to...it almost begs them to interpret the song even more, and that is what is going to make it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please keep it clean and keep it legal. Peace...